In 1975, the Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities (also known as the Church Committee) investigated the counterintelligence activities of the Federal Bureau of Investigation over a 25-year period. With regard to its COINTELPRO operations, the Church Committee found the Bureau responsible for:
- violating and ignoring the law;
- exceeding its powers with regard to domestic intelligence activity;
- using excessively intrusive techniques against United States citizens;
- using covert action to disrupt and discredit domestic groups;
- abusing intelligence information for political purposes; and
- having inadequate controls, as well as no accountability.