Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Lawsuit: DEA informant killed Albuquerque man

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A man accused of gunning down another man in Albuquerque's South Valley last year was an active U.S. Drug Enforcement
Administration informer who was improperly supervised, a new lawsuit alleges.
 
The family of Jason Estrada recently filed a $50 million lawsuit against the agency, the second suit in recent months alleging problems with the DEA's handling of informants, the Albuquerque Journal reports (http://goo.gl/djxdSq).

Edward Quintana, 31, has been charged with killing Estrada. He also is charged with criminal sexual penetration of a child under 13.

He has pleaded not guilty in both cases and is being held on a $600,000 bond.
Albuquerque police said Estrada was killed when he confronted Quintana over the sexual assaults of a child.

The lawsuit claims Quintana previously was debriefed by agents and became a "confidential source" despite his criminal background.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney's Office in Albuquerque said the office had no comment on the lawsuit.

The day after Estrada was killed, DEA agents "deactivated" Quintana as an informant, according to the lawsuit.

More:  http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/lawsuit-dea-informant-killed-albuquerque-man